Don’t deliver a product. Deliver an experience.
Brands are focussing on delivering an experience to their customers to retain them. Customer retention is one of the biggest challenge a brand faces. Brands have tried different methods of retaining a customer, and the best way to retain them were to give them OFFERS. Yes, offers have played a big role in bringing back a customer to use your product/service again.
In the digital space, the concept of cross-channel marketing automation has made the load a little lighter to retain the users. With these cross-channel marketing automation tools like WebEngage, CleverTap, SmartTech, MoEngage, brands have started segmenting their users to a different set of buckets. They analyze the behavior of their users on their website or mobile app and bucket them to different buckets and retarget them in different ways.
How do I track the behavior of a user on a website/mobile app?
With the help of an API integration or pixel code, you will be able to track users who visit your website for the first time and all have control over their historical purchases or activities on your site or app. You shall get in touch with the developers from both ends and integrate the code into your website or mobile app.
After tracking the behavior of your users, bucket them to a different set of segments and re-target them with personalized offer SMSes, Email, In-App Messages, Browser Notifications, Mobile App notifications, Remarketing or via Facebook Audiences.
What kind of user behavior should a brand capture and target to?
- First-time user: If the user has reached your site for the first time and has looked for a particular need and not completed the service, then via Remarketing show them different offers and bring them back to your site to make a purchase.
- Registered users but not made a purchase: A user has registered with your website/app, has browsed through a certain product also, but not made a purchase. Try to segment them and nudge them through an SMS first stating them to download the app and use their first purchase offer. If the user has your mobile app then nudge them with an app notification stating the same communication and urge him to make a purchase.
- Users who have purchased for more than 3times: Every customer likes to be pampered. When a user has purchased for more than 3times or a couple of times, acknowledge them and give them an offer to redeem. The customer will start being loyal to the brand and come in for more purchases knowing you value them. You can do this for 6times, 10 times, or a bill amount of 5k, 10k and so on. Acknowledge them as a Silver Customer, Gold Customer or Platinum Customer and send them an email thanking them for being a part of your brand and offering them a special offer. Also, send them a personalized In-App push conveying the same communication.
- Users who have added items to the cart but not made the purchase: To ensure more purchases, capturing certain actions on your website or app are an essential thing. When you see a registered user has added a few items to their cart but not initiated the purchase, then nudging them with an offer or informing them that “they might have forgotten” to make the purchase and inform them to take the last action. Giving them a continuous offer might seem like a misuse, but you can understand your customer and based on their historic activities with your brand, you can choose to offer them an offer or give them a minimum discount of 10% on their cart if the bill value comes up to certain INR.
- Uninstallation or Inactive customer: An inactive customer is a definition provided by organizations defining their product or service type. Some might say an inactive user is one person who has not made a purchase for more than 30 days with their brand. So, to bring them back, you will have to initiate a win back campaign through Email, SMSes or Facebook Custom Audience. Narrate a specific offer for users who have uninstalled your app or have been inactive for a particular period and bring them back to your site.
Through cross-channel marketing automation, you can define these segments and bucket your users according to their behavior. This will help you communicate with them based on their behavior type and the customer will become more loyal to your brand. So, start to create these user journeys on your cross-channel Marketing platform and retain your customers with you.